Ravens release Boulware

Ravens release Boulware

OWINGS MILLS -- The Baltimore Ravens have released four-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker Peter Boulware, according to an officially-sanctioned NFL bulletin.

Parting ways with the franchise's all-time sack king would create $1.3 million in savings against the salary cap this year. Boulware, who has 70 career sacks in nine seasons, was due to earn a $2.1 million salary in 2006.

Team officials said that Boulware's release was considered an eventuality, but didn't confirm or deny the transaction since they hadn't spoken with general manager Ozzie Newsome. Newsome is attending a competition committee meeting in Naples, Fla., and was unavailable for comment.

Boulware was under contract through 2009 with scheduled base salaries of $2.2 million in 2007, $2.3 million in 2008 and $2.5 million in 2009.

Boulware, 31, was re-signed in training camp after missing all of the 2004 season due to knee and toe injuries. He recorded 15 tackles, 2 ½ sacks and one pass deflection last season, appearing in 15 games with no starts.

The Ravens released Boulware last spring rather than pay him a $6 million base salary, the highest on the team. The former first-round draft pick from Florida State received $13.5 million in bonuses on a seven-year pact signed in 2002.

Meanwhile, the Ravens have yet to announce the release of offensive tackle Orlando Brown. Brown, 35, said he was informed last week by Newsome that he would be cut Monday, but said he hadn't been told anything further as of Wednesday night.

Cutting the veteran lineman would save $900,000 against the salary cap.
 

In addition to being a long time contributor to RavensInsider, Aaron Wilson writes for the Carroll County Times in Westminster Maryland.

If you are reading this article via a news portal, you can find the original on RavensInsider.Com
URL:http://www.ravensinsider.com

RavensInsider.com Recommended Stories


Up Next


Tweets